Orthodontics is not just for children and teens. In fact, 1 in every 5 patients in orthodontic treatment is an adult in the United States today. No one is too old for orthodontic treatment.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for many of the same reasons as children. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children but were unable to correct them until now. Others, who had treatment as children, may need further treatment as adults due to relapse or limitations in initial treatment.
BENEFITS OF TREATMENT
Adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment in many ways.
- Align the teeth to create a more esthetic and beautiful smile
- Correct relapse after previous orthodontic treatment due to lack of long term retainer wear
- Improve the ability to brush and floss, especially for crowded or overlapping lower front teeth
- Create a better or more comfortable bite and ability to chew.
- Address missing teeth
- Close spaces between the teeth
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or poor bite
- Jaw surgery to correct discrepancy between the upper and lower jaws
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are concerned with the appearance of braces. Often, Invisalign (the invisible alternative to braces) can be used to treat adults. This technology involves clear removable aligners, fabricated through advanced 3D imaging to align the teeth.
Typically, the teeth are most uncomfortable the first few days after beginning treatment and will disappear within 3 to 5 days. Modern appliances are smaller and more comfortable to wear.
The fee for adult orthodontic treatment is determined the same way as child or adolescent treatment. It is based on the severity of the discrepancy, the complexity of the correction, the appliances used and the length of time to correct.
Dr. Pollack has extensive experience treating adult orthodontic patients and the unique situations they present.
Our office has treated individuals in their 50’s, 60’s, and even their 70’s. It is never too late to gain the smile you have always wanted.